Paint Roller Brush

Picking the Equipment for Your Glen Ellyn Kitchen Cabinet Painting Project

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Nowadays, we are spoiled with choices in nearly every product category, and that includes paint rollers. You may have found yourself in the aisle of a home improvement store trying to figure out which roller is best for your Glen Ellyn kitchen cabinet painting project. There are various textures and thickness to choose from, and it can be a bit overwhelming at times. In this short guide, however, we will explain the pros and cons of various paint rollers and how they can help you during your project[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Paint Roller Basics” use_theme_fonts=”yes” el_class=”post_inner_title”][vc_column_text]The thickness of the roller is called the nap. You have a variety of nap choices, from ¼” to ¾”, with lower naps being used for smooth surfaces, and higher naps being used for rough ones (such as stucco, masonry, brick or decks). Naps in the medium range of around ⅜” are commonly used for drywall and ceilings, and the smaller naps will produce the smoothest finish. For your kitchen cabinet painting project, you will want to use a roller with a nap of about ¼”.

It’s important to pick the right nap for your project. A roller that is too thick will leave a finish that is textured like an orange peel, while a roller that is too thin will not be able to get into all the crevices of the surface, which will cause the finish to rip apart easily.

Rollers come in a variety of colors. The colors are mostly used by different brands to differentiate themselves. However, color schemes can also be used to denote the material of the roller. For example, a roller cover that has diagonal blue stripes on it is composed of microfiber. Microfiber is a material that has become increasingly popular over the years, and it is generally the best choice for light to medium-textured surfaces. However, if you want an ultra-fine finish for your cabinets, you should pick a white woven short nap roller.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Roller Frames” use_theme_fonts=”yes” el_class=”post_inner_title”][vc_column_text]The frame is the handle of the roller, and you will generally find one of two types of frames: 4” frames, and long 9” frames. For cabinets, you will need a 4” frame because you will take them down before painting them. Longer frames are great for wall and ceiling painting. However, if you buy a set of short frame rollers now, and if you have an interior painting project later in the year, you don’t have to buy a new set of long frame rollers. Instead, you can simply purchase an extension pole, or make one yourself, and you should be able to reach those high areas of the home.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”General Tips” use_theme_fonts=”yes” el_class=”post_inner_title”][vc_column_text]

  • When buying rollers, it’s best to invest in high-quality products because they will last longer and provide a better finish. Cheaper options will break apart more easily, and they may leave lint in the finish.
  • Different roller frame brands will feel differently in your hand. Make sure to feel them out in the store, and to try several over different projects. If you feel your hand cramping during a painting job, it could be time to switch to a different brand.
  • Do not apply excessive pressure when painting with a roller.
  • Latex paint can be cleaned using water and soap. Remove the cover from the frame, place it under running water, and squeeze all the paint out of the roller.

[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Consult with a Glen Ellyn Kitchen Cabinet Painting Company” use_theme_fonts=”yes” el_class=”post_inner_title”][vc_column_text]If you would like to find out more about which type of roller to use for your kitchen cabinet painting project in Glen Ellyn, Prime Time Painting is here to help. Contact us today to discuss your needs![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]