Every homeowner wants to have a beautiful and functional kitchen, and a big part of any modern kitchen is the kitchen cabinets. After all, the cabinets occupy a significant portion of your kitchen space.
So, what should you do if you want to update the look of your kitchen cabinets? Unfortunately, It can cost a lot of money to have those outdated cabinets replaced with new ones. Well, there is one other thing you can try before breaking the bank to install new cabinets — a fresh coat of paint may just do the trick and bring some sparkle back to your kitchen.
Now, here are a few things to keep in mind if you decide to tackle a kitchen cabinet paint project in Arlington Heights, Illinois:
How to choose the right paint?
When it comes to choosing the paint, it’s best to discuss your vision with your local Arlington Heights painting company so they can help point you in the right direction. If you are actually varnishing the cabinets, then using high quality, oil-based polyurethane would be a good choice. Again, it’s best to talk to the experts, tell them what you are doing, and ask for some suggestions. It might even help to bringing in one of the smaller cabinet doors to give the salesperson a better idea of what you are up to.
On to the painting process…
- The first thing you will need to do is remove all the cabinet doors and hardware, including the hinges, knobs, handles, and screws. You will obviously need to do this if you are planning on replacing all the hardware, but even if you are not, it’s best to remove them to ensure a much neater and a more professional-looking paint job. Depending on your kitchen’s size, you may need to use another room in the house to store it all — preferably someplace you can work in, so everything can be painted more easily.
- Be sure to have plenty of drop cloths handy. Wipe down any surface to be painted with Trisodium phosphate, or TSP. As always, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using the cleaning product.
- Some people prefer to do a light sanding of all painted surfaces at this point. Depending on the condition of your cabinets, this may or not be necessary. If they are a little beaten up, some light sanding may help to even out the surfaces a bit before painting.
- Cover or tape everything that is not being painted.
- Now, it’s time to start the painting process. Always make sure to the best quality brush or roller you can afford to ensure the best results possible.
- Once everything is painted or varnished, and has had plenty of time to dry, it is time to put everything back together.
Now, all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy the look of your new kitchen cabinets! You can also enjoy all the money you’ve saved by painting as opposed to replacing.
Looking to give your kitchen cabinets a beautiful facelift with a fresh coat of paint?
Are you ready to update the look of your kitchen? Prime Time Painting can help! We have skilled professionals who can get your kitchen cabinets painted professionally and quickly. Our kitchen painting services reinvigorate your home and raise its value, while also eliminating a lot of time-consuming manual labor if you decide to go with the DIY route.
If you would like to learn more about our cost-effective kitchen cabinet painting services in Arlington Heights, contact us today to request a free quote!