Many homeowners today are looking to paint their outdated kitchen cabinets rather than investing in expensive replacements. It’s a cost-effective and quick method of remodeling the most commonly used rooms of the home — your kitchen.
At Prime Time Painting, we’re here to help you make the right choice when painting your kitchen cabinets — whether you decide on a DIY or a professional job. Below, we’re going to explain how you can get professional results for your cabinets.
But First — Busting Some Myths!
- You shouldn’t paint your kitchen cabinets with just one coat. You should at least apply two or more coats of paint to get the right finish and look.
- Priming is essential, and there aren’t any short cuts. Two-in-one (prime and paint) products may appear fine, but they may not penetrate and adhere well to the cabinets.
- You shouldn’t skip over the sanding process. Sanding ensures that you don’t end up with a bumpy and clumpy surface that peels off quickly.
- Kitchen cabinet refinishing does add to your property value — the average ROI of renovating the entire space is nearly 70%.
- Even damaged or worn-out cabinets can be repaired and repainted. You don’t always need a full replacement.
- Repainting your kitchen cabinets in Villa Park is quite affordable, and when done correctly, it leaves them looking as good as new.
DIY Kitchen Cabinet Painting
If you decide to paint your kitchen cabinets on your own, you will first need the necessary tools. These include a sprayer, brushes, and a shop vacuum. You will also need to purchase the necessary accessories, including sandpaper, tack cloth, degreaser, etc. Once you have your paint and all the materials you need, you can begin the painting process. This involves disassembling, prepping, sanding and priming, buffing, painting, reassembling, and cleaning up. If this all seems daunting, there’s no shame in leaving the project to the professionals. Villa Park kitchen cabinet painting is a specialized task that can be difficult if you don’t have any prior experience.
What Do the Professionals Do Differently?
DIY kitchen cabinet painting can be quite tempting. But there’s often a noticeable difference between cabinets that are self-painted vs. ones that are painted by professionals!
It takes serious dedication and skills to get a smooth finish, no matter the technique. The professionals use equipment that’s specifically designed to produce professional-grade quality. They use paints that are hands-down the best in class. They have been specifically trained to paint cabinets, and as a result, they’re well acquainted with the process and can do it in a quick, reliable, and stress-free manner.
At Prime Time Painting, we first disassemble the cabinet doors, fronts, knobs, and other hardware and label them so that everything goes back correctly upon completion. If things aren’t removable, we pull them out, mask the areas that don’t require painting, and carry on with the process. We also mask all non-cabinet areas such as appliances, backsplash, countertops, and floors.
The actual painting doesn’t start yet — we prepare the surfaces by cleaning and degreasing them. After that, we move onto the priming step. We then sand, apply another layer of the primer, and finally, paint the cabinets. Once everything dries, we will remove the masking and reassemble all the cabinets and hardware in their original place.
Finally, we remove all of our equipment and clean up the mess, and there you have it — freshly-painted, gorgeous-looking kitchen cabinets.
Looking for a Kitchen Cabinet Painting Company in Villa Park, Illinois?
If you are thinking about painting your kitchen cabinets on your own, then we hope this article is helpful. However, if you are looking for a professional Villa Park kitchen cabinet painting company, then Prime Time Painting is here to help! Call us at 630.920.3300 or fill the online contact form to request a free estimate, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.